Sunday, February 19, 2012

Focus on the Artist - Ruth McLees


Artwork by Ruth McLees, Great Britain

"The Sea Made Flesh" 

Polyurethane Elastomer, Varnish and Pigment on Vintage Textile


Source-Book Gallery - "Craftsmen & Women of Great Britain"

Ruth McLees Website



In her own words:

I am fascinated by light, reflection, and the interplay of overlaid images, especially pattern. It is the suggestion of an alternative world existing alongside every-day reality that captivates me and remains a constant source of inspiration.

I paint shadowy figures merging into the fabric of their surroundings, making it impossible to determine where one ends and the other begins.

The images I paint are alluring and stylish. Figures, largely female, are taken from the worlds of film, fashion and glamour modelling. I paint on patterned furnishing fabrics using layers of transparent paint to explore the interplay between overlaid images and exploit my fascination with pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment